Living Outside is a work of hard science fiction. It is my attempt to envision the future of technology and how it will transform culture. I tried to make it as fun and realistic as possible. Its focus is on virtual and augmented reality, and how these technologies might be integrated into everyday life. It is set in a time when virtual reality has matured to the point where it is indistinguishable from physical reality in almost all respects, at least for those with the proper equipment. It explores the rich possibilities of fully immersive, player-created game worlds and simulated social spaces, and the exciting new horizons they present. I hope you enjoy it.
All feedback is welcome.
- Technology Notes - Details on how the technology in this story might be implemented.
- Related Tech Links - Tons of interesting stuff.
- Virtual Worlds - Virtual spaces featured in the story, as well as other possibilities.
- My Tumblr - An aggregate of technology news.
- My Blog - Random musings about technology and culture.
- 01: Joy Ride - Autonomous cars. Basics of virtual telepresence.
- 02: Fun At NumNums - Augmented reality and telepresence in public spaces.
- 03: House Party - Augmented reality and virtual telepresence in private spaces.
- 04: Crain Slain - Interactive concerts. Basics of user created virtual worlds.
- 05: Apartment Living - Cyber-enhanced media consumption.
- 06: Neo-Kyoto Explodes! - Virtual filmmaking. Introduction to Ataraxia.
- 07: Omni - Sunshine City. Virtual clubbing. Cyber-enhanced sexuality.
- 08: Dive! - Experimental virtual spaces. Spirals.